The UCLG Executive Bureau meetings will take place in Strasbourg
The United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) Executive Bureau will be held on 23-26 May at the European Parliament headquarters in Strasbourg, France, under the invitation of the Mayor of the city, and UCLG Co-President Roland Ries.
The meetings will be held in the form of the high-level political debate with ministers, governors and mayors under the theme “Inclusive and Safe Cities, Key to Sustainable Development. Local and Regional Governments’ Key Priorities for the Global Goals”.
The highlights of the programme:
· The meeting of the Working Group on Territorial Prevention and Management of Crises as well as the meeting of the Community of Practice on Mobility and the Steering Committee of the Forum on Intermediary Cities session and the meeting of the Global Fund for Cities Development will be held on the 23rd of May.
· The Financial Management Committee and the Committee on Statutory Affairs are expected to take place on the 24th of May.
· The 4 Policy Councils will gather on the 24th and 25th of May in the form of a Dialogue between Ministers and Local Governments.
· A high level dialogue “Linking the Global Goals with the New Urban Agenda Implementation” organized in partnership with the United Nations Advisory Committee of Local Authorities (UNACLA) will take place on the 25th of May bringing together Ministers, Mayors, Governors and other governmental representatives. The session aims at linking the global goals with the implementation of the New Urban Agenda and contributing to the upcoming assessment of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 11 to the upcoming High Level Political Forum (HLPF) that will take place on 9-18th July in New York.
· The Business Session of the Executive Bureau will be held on the 25th of May. The UCLG Executive Bureau meeting is a closed meeting. From Eurasia it will be attended by the mayors of the cities of Arzamas, Astana, Astrakhan, Bishkek, Volgograd, Yerevan, Kazan, Kyzyl, Moscow, Rostov-on-Don and Yakutsk. Note: The Executive Bureau is responsible for initiating proposals and carrying out the decisions of the World Council. It is in charge of the World Organisation’s administrative and financial management.
· On the 26th of May the session on the Forum of CEOs of Local Governments Associations will take place.
All meetings will be held in the European Parliament.
Strasbourg is a beautiful ancient city in the north-east of France nearly at the boundary of Germany. The city has a status of “Parliament capital of Europe” since 1992 as it has been a meeting place of the Council of Europe since 1949 and of the European Parliament since 1992.
The heart of the city located on the island surrounded by the river Ill was recognized by UNESCO as a world heritage of humanity, in particular, such sights as Strasbourg Cathedral and La Petite France neighborhood.